Adventures Abroad

Adventures Abroad
Machu Picchu

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Hallo, Deutschland!

Hallo, liebe Kolleginnen und Abenteurer!

The New Year is creeping closer and that means I have discovered where my next adventure will be. Within a few weeks, I will be grabbing my passport and jetsetting to my next adventure.


Drum roll please....

My next adventure with B will be in Berlin! I'm excited that I will be heading out of the country for a week after Christmas.

Berlin: A Quick Look

  • Berlin is known to be founded in the 13th Century, but I have read that it may be older than researchers previously thought. 
  • Berlin is NINE times bigger than Paris! 
  • I have heard that Berlin is like New York City....never sleeps!
  • Berlin is so big that it is divided into districts.
    • Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf
    • Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg
    • Lichtenberg
    • Marzahn-Hellersdorf
    • Mitte
      • I believe this is the district I will be staying in.
    • Neukolln
    • Pankow
    • Reinickendorf
    • Spandau
    • Steglitz-Zehlendorf
    • Tempelhof-Schoneberg
    • Treptow-Kopenick
  • Berlin is filled with so much history!
    • Hitler occupied Berlin.
    • There was a concentration camp located outside of the city in Sachsenhausen.
    • WWII left Berlin in ruins.
    • Berlin Wall ("Iron Curtain") was a barrier separating East and West Berlin.
      • Existed from 1961-1990
      • However, I hear that part of the Berlin Wall still exists.

Places To See:
  • Funkturm Berlin
    • Best views of western Berlin's landmarks, such as Charlottenburg Palace and AVUS.
  • Museum Island
    • Literally, just a bunch of museums that showcase coins, medals, religious iconography, and sculptures.
  • Berlin Zoo
    • Was restored after WWII and now houses over 14,000 animals. It is said to be one of the most impressive zoos in Europe. I'm hoping to go see Bao Bao the giant panda!
  • Holocaust Memorial
    • Said to be a "harrowing and truly powerful experience." 
  • Brandenburg Gate
    • One of the city's most recognizable landmarks that was built in 1791 and restored after WWII. Today, it symbolizes "Germany's rebirth as a unified state."
German Phrases

EnglishDeutsch
yes / noja / nein (yah/nine)
please/thanksbitte/danke (BIT-tuh/DAHN-kuh)
You're welcome.Bitte. (BIT-tuh)
You're welcome. (for a favor)Gern geschehen. (ghern guh-SHAY-un)
Excuse me!Entschuldigen Sie! (ent-SHOOL-de-gen zee)
Where's the restroom/toilet?Wo ist die Toilette? (vo ist dee toy-LET-uh)
left / rightlinks / rechts (linx/rechts)
downstairs / upstairsunten / oben (oonten/oben)
Hello!/Good day!Guten Tag! (GOO-ten tahk)
Good-bye!Auf Wiedersehen! (owf VEE-der-zane)
Good morning!Guten Morgen! (GOO-ten morgen)
Good night!Gute Nacht! (GOO-tuh nahdt)
My name is...Ich heisse... (ich HYE-suh)
I am...Ich bin... (ich bin)
Do you have...?Haben Sie...? (HAH-ben zee)
a roomein Zimmer (eye-n TSIM-air)
a rental carein Mietwagen (eye-n MEET-vahgen)
a bankeine Bank (eye-nuh bahnk)
the policedie Polizei (dee po-lit-ZYE)
the train stationder Bahnhof (dare BAHN-hof)
the airportder Flughafen (dare FLOOG-hafen)

Look back soon for my packing list for a winter climate and books worth traveling with. Oh, and come back after Christmas for a review of Berlin!

Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment